GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Card Not Seen

frankweir

Hi All...My GX 100 suddenly can't see my installed external SD card. I've tried every card I have in the slot, but it only sees the internal memory. When I use the menu to try to format the external card, it says to install a card. I've tried everything I know to do including leaving the battery out to reset the camera's software. All I can think of is to re-install the latest firmware via direct hook up of the camera to the computer since it would not see a card with the firmware installed on it and see if that takes care of it, IF that is possible. Has anyone heard of this happening with the GX100 or have any ideas? Many thanks.

Frank Weir
frankweir@yahoo.com
Michigan, USA

Hi Frank,

I'm afraid, it sounds like dead card slot? If the camera refuses to read any card you insert (how many cards you tried?) there is most probably something wrong with slot. As far as I know, FW cannot be installed from internal memory. But I don't think it's the FW problem. If it suddenly stopped working, then it's most probably either the card or card slot. But as you tried several cards, it appears to be a problem with slot.

Thanks Odkilzec! That saves me the hassle of trying to do something that can't be done and probably wouldn't help in any event. I'll investigate repair options. I have the GRD also which I use more often than the GX 100. We visited Europe last Christmas and pretty much the only camera I used was the GRD. I FORGOT my battery charger tho so i was buying batteries around London on a regular basis! Sure wish I could join the London meet up!! thanks, frank

Hi guys,
I recently have had problems with my GX100 reading the card, with the camera also only giving me access to the internal memory. So far, I have resolved it by taking the card out and then reinserting...is it possible that the contacts on the camera are prone to corrosion after prolonged use? I certainly take mine out in the rain more often than I should...or is a 'dead' card slot something that all digital cameras may suffer from eventually?
Andy

most things are "cable related" try inserting a narrow piece of cardboard with double stick tape to clean the chamber you may have inserted a card with a small piece of detritis inadvetantly and it my be blocking one or more contacts , corrosin is another possibility try reinserting alot to see if the extra movement can dislodge or wear away a dirt or corrosion issue

Frank:
I'm sorry I have no better news. ricohlizer could be right about dirty contacts. Try to check the slot or try some more cards. The bad thing is that official service will be most probably too expensive and probably not worth such money? But it depens of how much you like your GX100? ;) I still think its sensor is superior over GX200 sensor.

BTW, next time you will be in London, tell us so! There are many Londoners with Ricohs so we can always organize another small meet-up. Sadly, I can make up only the "big" ones.

Andy:
Strange to hear about very similar (if not the same) problem in one day. Are you sure it's not a card problem? Did you try another card?

Wiener":3linn03o said:
Hi guys,
I recently have had problems with my GX100 reading the card, with the camera also only giving me access to the internal memory. So far, I have resolved it by taking the card out and then reinserting...is it possible that the contacts on the camera are prone to corrosion after prolonged use? I certainly take mine out in the rain more often than I should...or is a 'dead' card slot something that all digital cameras may suffer from eventually?
Andy

Andy, I am curious if there is any marks on the SD card contacts? any dirt or discoloration? this may hint at dirty contacts if you see something?

odklizec":35elwvfn said:
Andy:
Strange to hear about very similar (if not the same) problem in one day. Are you sure it's not a card problem? Did you try another card?

The two cards with which I have had the problems with are my newest, a Hama SDHC Class 6 8GB and a SanDisk Ultra Class 4 8GB. I did wonder if it resulted from an incompatibility with the GX100 as I have had no problems with the lesser cards that I use. Or could it be that these larger cards require a better electrical contact before the camera recognises them as correctly installed? I have had no problems with either of them in the last few days so fingers crossed, thumbs held or whatever superstition works best! ;)

In response to Tim, there are only slight polished streaks on the gold plate on the SD card contacts...no more or less on the newer cards than the older ones. I will keep you informed of any future dramas! Maybe I should find myself a second camera in the meantime...the GX is the only non-film camera that I own! :?

It does sound like the card pickups in the camera. Check that no part of a label from a card is lodged in the card pickups.
You will need a tourch to see down to the bottom of the card slot.
Some people move cards about. camera to pc card reader & back & forth.
A card can pick up crud or hair in the process.

Andy, size of card should not be a problem (at least not up to 16GB). GX100 gladly accepts 16GB cards. So it must be something else.

Wiener":1c4nirxy said:
Maybe I should find myself a second camera in the meantime...the GX is the only non-film camera that I own! :?

I've kept a couple of film cameras but I also have other backup digitals as well. I guess you have a leading comment there Andy? - what would you get? CX1/2? GRD? or something else?

I notice there are still some R10s available. I seem to have noticed when other camera manufacturers release a new model their old stock seem to disappear - with Ricoh the old models seem to stick around till sold out. Makes me wonder Do other manufacturers take back the old models and crush them to sell only the new ones? - at a higher price of course?

Back