GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

Best casual snapsnot flash setting?

rurouni

I've been experimenting with the flash controls, trying to find a nice natural looking fill flash value that will suit most indoor snap-shots at around 50cm distance from the subject. Anyone has any suggestions/tips on this? I think the default flash levels are a little high but I'm pretty much a novice at flash photography... : /

My initial reaction is that the best setting would be "off", but that's not very helpful.

This is a shot I took of my sister-in-law (she was trying to decide what camera to get and looking at the R7 ...)

R0012238.jpg

which is cropped out of this:

R0012238_2.jpg

You can see the shadowing from the GT-1 on the right. I had the flash compensation set to -2, aperture wide open and was a few feet away: the result isn't *awful* but it's limited by the simple fact that the flash is on the camera and too close to the lens. The flash compensation you need varies from situation to situation: I just checked at 28mm and -2 wasn't enough to expose one of the dogs properly at 2ft or so, but -1 was about right. The default is almost always wrong - plan a few test exposures first if you can, otherwise dial it down aggressively and hope you can fix it in PP.

I find dialling in a -1 on flash compensation usually does it for me. The results seem more consistant.

This is maybe a stupid answere since I don't know what I'm doing BUT I was messing around yesterday looking for the same thing as you and got the best results from choosing "slow/flash synchro" (wich I don't know what it means... :roll: ) and then set the compensation at -1.

Slow/flash synchro, means the camera is using the natural light in the scene for the exposure, then firing the flash at the end of the exposure ( I think!)
The problem you can get is camera shake if the speed is too low. I find it best to use a tripod if you have one available, in this setting.

Back