GR User Forum

The spot for all Ricoh GR camera users

Register for free, meet other Ricoh GR users, share your images, help others, have fun!

Tell your friends about us!

B/W with GR-D

mldarkroom

This is my first post here.Therefor "HALLO" and i apologize for my bad english.

Soon i'm getting my GR-D. After thinking about for a long time i finally decided to go for the "old" one. Normaly i take 50% digital and 50% analog photographs. Analog in B/W with leica M. Up to now i converted digital files in PP to B/W. I have heard that the GR-D has scene mode, what is a high contrast B/W.
So how do you use your GR-D. Colour and PP or in case of the GR-D use B/W from the beginning. I don't need the GR-D for colour!!!

Greetings Mark

Hi i personally shoot in b/w..I checked out some other pictures online by people like Mitch a greattttt phonographer, and notice they seem to set the EV to -0.3 Which ive started to do.I'm pretty new to PS but i also sharpen my pictures a little so their more "gritty".. Hi welcome to a great forum :D andy

When I first started shooting I was doing RAW and JPG but then switched to JPG only. I've only had her for a few months and I'm not into post processing at all. I used to shoot slides 100%, but then kids came and that changed. I got the GR-D I too, though I am switching over to almost all digital. I'm going to keep one SLR and one RF (both nikons) and the GR-D is my wide angle camera and backup to a D300 (yet to be purchased).

I just got back from Paris and Amsterdam and was quite impressed with the low light shots I got with the GR-D. If they had a version with a 40 (rather than the adapter) I might not get the D300. I'd get a D60 and a 180/2.8 AF would carry me.

I shot in color though I think in B&W often.

B2 (;->

For b&w with the GRD I I always use the jpgs straight out of camera as these provide the best results for me. I use contrast +2 and sharpening +1 for best results. Now since I got the GRD II the GRD I is my main b&w camera while the GRD II does all the color work since the colors are better and the dynamic range is higher.

Thank you for your reply's. I mainly use my little beauty for b/w. It's my poor man's version of Leica M8 :D :eek:.
Just kidding. I have a lot of photographic equippment, but this little GR-D is catching my heart. I´m pleased to get one of the last version I instead of II.

Greetings Mark

i'm very happy with it as well considering it really dropped in price!!! now, my dealer has none left...it takes great b&w jpegs and the color jpegs are not too bad actually...i set it to EV -0.3 as well...

cheers,

nr

I shoot in colour as RAW and then convert in PhotoShop CS3 using a black and white adjustment layer or the monochrome mixer in Apple Aperture.
I think it's always best to leave yourself as many options as possible and to use non-destructive techniques.
I also do a lot of analogue work and have a GR-1s and a Leica M6. My digital SLR is an Olympus E-1. Virtually all of my film work and about 70% of my digital work is black and white.

hi, maybe you could with us some of your works with the GRD...i for one would love to see them...especially if you have some take with the 21mm lens...thanks!

nr

DTD":jv8igyik said:
I shoot in colour as RAW and then convert in PhotoShop CS3 using a black and white adjustment layer or the monochrome mixer in Apple Aperture.
I think it's always best to leave yourself as many options as possible and to use non-destructive techniques.
I also do a lot of analogue work and have a GR-1s and a Leica M6. My digital SLR is an Olympus E-1. Virtually all of my film work and about 70% of my digital work is black and white.

norrinradd":w3z8v80g said:
hi, maybe you could with us some of your works with the GRD...i for one would love to see them...especially if you have some take with the 21mm lens...thanks!

Only just got the GRD-II, so not got anything really to show yet, but there's quite a few GR-1s shots on my website:
http://www.dunni.co.uk

I originally got the GR-1s to work on a particular long-term project:

http://www.dunni.co.uk/seaside.html

So it might be interesting to finish this off using digital.

Have got the 40mm and 21mm lenses – if the shop hadn't accidently delivered the GX100's adaptor (twice!) I might have used them by now :)

For b&w with the GRD I I always use the jpgs straight out of camera as these provide the best results for me. I use contrast +2 and sharpening +1 for best results. Now since I got the GRD II the GRD I is my main b&w camera while the GRD II does all the color work since the colors are better and the dynamic range is higher.
Same thinking. The GRD2 only for RAW, the GRD1 for straight b&w JPEG. Also I have the adaptor and lenses (40 + 21mm) originally purchased with the GRD2 that I can use with the GRD1.
The b&w JPEG straight out of the camera (at 64-100 ISO range) of the GRD1 is the best in the market. And the prints (at 40x60cm) looks superb.

Back